Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day and Building A Monument

Tonight I had the chance to attend Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, where there was an event for MLK day, including a fundraiser for the new MLK monument in Washington. And there was a beautiful concert by the choirs of this church and another church from Queens, as well as performers from yet two other churches. It all brought back deep and moving memories of the profound connection I always felt with MLK since I was 11 or 12 years old, and read all of his books that were available in Dutch. It was he who led me first to Ghandi, and ultimately to become a conscientious objector, when I reached draft age in my native Holland. The truly heartwarming spirit of this service really swept me off my feet, and the occasion made it even more meaningful.

For me it also brought up the image of Dr. Helen Schucman--the scribe of A Course in Miracles--who, as a little girl, maybe at the same age as when I was studying MLK, went to baptist services with her family's maid, who was from Harlem. She kept a life-long fascination with churches, though she was ultimately to understand that Jesus's "church" was not a building, or an organization, but the loving dedication in human relationships which is the extension of his Love. More and more one realizes that it really does not matter how people find their way, or what their theologies and beliefs are. Whatever works for you is fine, and we all learn in different ways. The warmth and intensity of this gathering certainly spoke volumes, and if for me A Course in Miracles just happens to be the way, and I am not about to join a church, I can still enjoy the beautiful music, the atmosphere and relish the friendship, for that's really the only thing that means anything. The lady who invited me was the cousin of a former work colleague, and by the time it was all over and we walked to the bus, it was as if we had known each other for a lifetime, and she's regaling me with memories: "Now, child, you should'a been there when..."

And, judging by the success of the collection, that monument is going to get there, and at a very symbolic time in the history of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment